Small Business Saturday - November 30

After Thanksgiving, the tides have shifted. We are completely in holiday gear so that means presents galore. There are plenty of opportunities to start your shopping right away including Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Small Business Saturday.

But there is no better way to support your community than to invest in it. According to American Express, every dollar spent at a small business in the U.S., approximately 67 cents stay in the local community. 

As a part of the movement to shop locally, American Express created Small Business Saturday in 2010, in order to drive holiday sales in small businesses. Perfectly timed, this was in the middle of the recession, when we all started realizing the worth of our dollar. 

Small businesses make up about 99% of the businesses in the United States but only half of these businesses stay open for more than five years. The other 1% of businesses are large companies like Amazon. Although these companies are wide reaching and efficient, they aren’t the best when it comes to conserving energy through transportation and packing waste, even to the treatment of their workers. 

You know the people in your neighborhood and their interests. Shopping locally at small businesses is helpful in supporting the people in your communities and helping that same community thrive through building its economy.  

This shopping holiday always takes place on the last Saturday in November, this Small Business Saturday is on November 30th. We challenge you all to shop locally for at least 50% of your holiday shopping this year. You can even find some unique pieces from local Makers that you cannot find anywhere else in shopping small. Nothing better than standing out with a gift that is thoughtful, sustainable, and one of a kind.

Happy shopping and even happier holidays! 

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Human Rights Edition Card Game
Curiosity Edition Card Game
Sold Out
The Breakbeat Poets Vol. 2: Black Girl Magic
Jam Session by Yadi Liu
St. Nicholas Park Medium Ceramic Jar Candle